Pulkovo Observatory has been opened on 1839, August 7 on a hill situated at 19km south of the city of Saint-Petersburg in Russia. The first director was the famous astronomer F.W. Struve.
The observatory contributed to the making of stellar catalogues and made numerous photographic observations using the 26inch-refractor. Researches in astrophysics and radio astronomy are also made at the observatory.